CBD, or cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis and hemp plants. Our knowledge of the medical benefits of CBD for humans expands daily. CBD offers numerous health benefits for your dogs as well. Let's look at a few of the myriad ways that CBD can improve your pet's health.
As they get older, many dogs suffer from painful conditions like arthritis. CBD exhibits anti-inflammatory properties that can provide effective pain relief. Pharmaceutical analgesics come with uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous side-effects. CBD oils, tinctures and pain creams offer animal-lovers another alternative for pain management.
Laboratory tests and clinical studies have proven that CBD can help to calm anxious dogs. Dogs have various reasons to become anxious, including:
- Situational Anxiety- Anyone who has taken their dog to the vet or consoled their canine friend through a thunderstorm knows how anxious pets can get in certain situations.
- Generalized Anxiety- Some dogs are simply anxious by nature, while others might only show anxiety in social situations.
- PTSD- Just like humans, dogs can suffer from anxiety and panic attacks brought on by trauma.
- Car Rides- Many dogs get anxious in the car especially if you are taking them with you on a road trip.
CBD Strengthens Skin and Bones
Clinical studies have shown that CBD oil strengthens the skin and bones. Supplementing with CBD can help your dog's bones heal faster after a fracture or slow down the advancement of osteoporosis. Topical applications of CBD are effective in treating certain skin conditions from psoriasis to common allergic reactions.
Doggie Neurological Disorders
We now know that CBD promotes neurogenesis, the growth of new neurons. As dogs get older, they become more susceptible to neurodegenerative disorders similar to Alzheimer's or Parkinson’s disease in humans. The neuroprotective action of CBD can slow down the progression of these diseases so that you can have more quality years with your four-legged friend.
The thought of losing a beloved pet is horrible, but worse yet is seeing our loyal companion suffer. CBD can help treat the symptoms brought on by cancer treatment, such as nausea and lack of appetite. As mentioned earlier, CBD's anti-inflammatory properties make it a good choice for soothing cancer-induced pain. Promising laboratory tests have shown that CBD slows down the growth of tumors and accelerates the death of cancer cells.
Best Ways to Give CBD to Your Dog
- Mixing CBD with food- CBD oils and tinctures can easily be added to your pet's food. Your stubborn pooch won't be the wiser.
- Putting CBD oil in water- However, it can be difficult to give an accurate dose if your pet doesn't drink all of the water.
- Administering CBD tinctures directly into the mouth- This method is simple and effective. Manufacturers like Dogchies make CBD tinctures in flavors that dogs love.
- Giving CBD treats- Be sure to pick high-quality CBD snacks for your pet.
As you can see, supplementing with CBD can be of great benefit to your dog. Ask your vet and browse our website to help you find the right products for your canine's needs.